Chip Carving with Bill Johnson
June 21-23, 2018
Bill plans to spend Thursday afternoon observing and talking with each of us, in order to develop an understanding of where we are (in terms of skills and techniques), individually, and as a group. This will help him plan the best use of our time for the remaining two days.
Bill is comfortable working with a group of students who are on various skill levels and who are working on a couple of different projects. Both projects being offered, will both challenge and encourage everyone in the class, as long as he/she has received basic instruction and hands-on Chip Carving experience ahead of time. He is confident that we’ll all enjoy the experience and have something to be proud of as a result.
It’s quite possible, that some of us will be unable to complete all of the carving on our chosen project. Although that may, at first, sound disappointing, Bill (who believes that a solid understanding and mastery of the skills and techniques are more important than completing a given project piece), assured me that there’s plenty of repetition in each of the two designs so, even if some of us don’t complete all of the carving, we will have already practiced and mastered what’s remaining - making the eventual completion that much more satisfying.
- The Class - A 2-1/2 day Intermediate/Advanced class
- Instructor fee: $150 per student. Plus $8 to cover three days of rental for the Cathcart Center.
- Minimum 8 Students. Maximum 10 Students.
- Cost of a Practice Board included ($12.50 value).
- Cost of Project Blanks:
- Ready-to-Carve(tm) Tall Desk Clock, $35.00
- Note: If not chosen as Class project, but for future use - $47.00
- Clock Inserts; $14.00 for Vintage Style, $7.50 for Contemporary Style. Bill’s cost, no discounts available.
- Ready-to-Carve(tm) Sampler Plate, $20.00
- Note: If not chosen as Class project, but for future use - $25.00
- Each student will have a complete kit for use during Class, but are welcome to bring their own knives and other materials.
- Each kit contains Wayne Barton Cutting and Chip Carving Knives, plastic T-squares, pencils, erasers, and compasses.
- New knives and other items can be purchased if so desired.
Please respond by e-mail if you want me to lock in a spot for you.
I will start taking deposits of $80 to lock in your spot in the class at the afternoon club meeting. The balance will be due at the May 29th meeting, allowing me time to notify any alternate in case someone who has enrolled cannot attend.
If you need more information regarding how the class will be presented, and at what level you need to be for the class here is Bill’s information if you need to contact him.
Bill Johnson, Carolina Mountain Reefs
PO Box 2581, Cullowhee, NC 28723